Of 1,000 tips I could share, here is a short list of quick and easy transition tips which may not be super obvious for you to consider on race day. Remember, opinions are like assholes – everyone has one. Decide how YOU are going to approach race day – what is right for YOU?
What are the tips you would suggest? Post them below for everyone to read.
- In transition, strap your helmet to your bike rather than placing it on handlebars. You don’t want it knocked off as it will be hard to find in the crowd.
- Drape that pink towel I know you own over your bike to make it easier to spot.
- Take note of your transition location so you don’t spend valuable time searching for your bike after the swim. Write it on your hand if it helps!
- Where are you going to put your nutrition on the bike? Do you have two bottle cages – quick and cheap to add extra hydration. Do you have pockets? Tuck gels/snacks into the elastic of your shorts (have you ever tucked a banana into your shorts?). You could tape them to your bike, but don’t do what I did in my first race: tape your brake cables, so they don’t work right when you need them…at the bottom of a hill, when you’re going 40mph and there’s a sharp turn ahead – not fun!
- Are you pale & pasty like me? Apply sunblock before the swim to save time in transition, or just a quick application after the swim on your most exposed parts (eg tops of thighs).